A Camp nanowrimo success!
I tried out Camp NaNoWriMo this year and I’m so happy I did!
I’ve been wanting to turn my first novel, Riser, into a screenplay for years now, but never seemed to find the time. Admittedly, it was because I was too busy writing fourteen books lol!
So I decided to use Camp NaNoWriMo as my motivator!
It was great! Just what I needed!
The screenplay ended up being 190 pages long though. Waaaaaaaay too long for a script. I had to buckle down and edit until I could get it to 130 pages or less. It was the hardest piece I’ve ever edited. At first I felt like I needed to keep every single scene in, but after a while I was able to force some distance between me and the book.
I tried a new method of editing, which really worked for me.
I broke the script up into three files. One file for each Act. Since I already knew what my plot points were, I was able to easily copy and paste each Act into its corresponding file.
Once that was done it was about cutting down each file to the proper page count. My ideal page count number was 120 so Act I would need to come down to 30 pages, Act II would need to come down to 60 pages, and Act III would need to come down to 30 pages.
This helped me organize and structure the screenplay. Act II and III were the hardest since I had so many extra pages and scenes. But after a lot of hours and hard work, I finally cut out 60 pages from the script! Crazy!
But it’s done! I gave it out to all my beta readers and now I’m just waiting for notes!
Okay! Time to get back to writing my Riser/Atlas mash-up book! Woohoo!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
I'm a writer of YA fiction, fiction, comics, television and movies. I try to make all my stories full of jumbly goodness :-)