I’m one of those people who loves wearing comfortable clothing all the time. My problem over that last few years is that I’ve gotten extremely lazy with my wardrobe choices. My version of “comfortable clothing” has pretty much equated me to me looking like a slob (i.e. sweats and a tank top). I try to fashionably nerd it up a bit by wearing TeeFury tanks (I turn my t-shirts into tank tops), but all-in-all a nerdy-tank and sweat pants has pretty much been my day-to-day wardrobe for a very long time now.
That’s why I’ve been on a sewing frenzy the past couple of months. My goal is to create a wardrobe that consists of three things: comfort, nerdiness and style. I’ve been having a lot of fun with this, especially since I discovered the obscene amounts of licensed fabric at JoAnne’s and the best website ever, Spoonflower.com (you can make your own fabric desgins!)
I’ve been sewing since I was seven-years-old, so I’m no stranger to a sewing machine. The past two decades I’ve mostly sewn nerdy bags/purses and cosplay clothing, so I’m super excited to finally make clothes I can wear every day.
The first item on my list was to find a cute tunic pattern so that I could wear leggings. Easier said than done. I wanted my tunic to be the length of a short dress so I don’t have to worry about the leggings being see-thru or any other horror fashion faux pas I’ve seen on the Internet.
I liked Simplicty Pattern 2365 because it had the right length and I really like the French pleating on the front.
My only problem was that I didn’t like the sleeves. I’m not a fan of the button-strap sleeve. I did like the princess cut in view B though, which gave me the idea to use a different pattern: New Look 6732 I had used for cosplay (I’ll definitely write a review of that awesome pattern in the future!). I love the sleeves on that pattern, so I decided to mix and match patterns.
Instead of doing a cuff or hem on the sleeve though, I chose do use 1/4 inch elastic. (In the case of the red tunic I sewed three hem slots for the elastic to give it an almost cuff-like appearance.) I made two of the tunics short-sleeved and the red one 3/4 sleeved. I chose to do a solid red so I could wear leggings I designed and created on RedBubble.com. Pictured here are my Shadowhunter Love Rune leggings! (I’ll be doing a blogpost on RedBubble as well!)
As for the other two tunics: I chose to do one with licensed Star Wars fabric and the other with fabric I designed on Spoonflower.com of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer drawing I had done years before called, Buffy in the Scythe.
Aside from the sleeve swappage, I stuck to the pattern’s instructions. The French pleats were a little bit of a challenge. They weren’t difficult, just tedious and time consuming. Oh the things we do for fashion lol!
The collar proved a bit a challenge as well. It ended up being slightly too long. This is because of the French pleating. I used too much fabric in folding my pleats, hence making the neck length shorter than the collar. But it was a simple fix. I sewed the collar to match the length of the neck and it fit perfectly.
I’ll probably make more of these tunics as they are extremely comfy and easy to make. And the best part is I can wear my leggings without looking like I’m perpetually going to a yoga class!
I'm a writer of YA fiction, fiction, comics, television and movies. I try to make all my stories full of jumbly goodness :-)